Case Study: Individual Well Page

T-Rex: 2021 - 2022

An online service enabling engineers and field technicians to inspect their remotely connected wells in the field.

The Problem 

We discovered that well visits and inspections are analog processes fraught with many unknowns. Inspections are time-consuming, even for experienced technicians who might not always be available. Moreover, once a technician departs a site for the next one, anything could happen to the previous site until their return a week later.

The Goal 

We set out to create an individual well page that provides a timeline of events and trends, allowing users to swiftly access information for actionable items within minutes, not days. This also offers users round-the-clock surveillance of their site.

Due to a non-disclosure agreement, I must keep specific details vague
and will focus on the process of building out this feature instead.


I held a stakeholder meeting to gather information about our clientele and the business's perspective on the services and solutions we could offer them.
Aterwards, the CEO introduced me to several individuals in the oil industry and potential clients for our product. I conducted qualitative interviews to learn more about their roles within their companies and the current challenges they face that we could potentially solve. Each interview was recorded and transcribed for further documentation.

Exploration map

With the transcripts finalized, I highlighted key insights to construct an exploration map,
enhancing our understanding of the users' day-to-day needs.

Digital Wireframes - Beginning 

By sharing the Exploration Map with stakeholders, we identified data points and potential features for development. Our initial approach was comprehensive, after which we reviewed and prioritized 'must-haves' versus 'nice-to-haves.'

Low-Fidelity Prototype

After a significant pause to allow the backend to catch up with the Grafana backend, we gained access to a new and detailed dataset. With these new options, we quickly developed a more refined low-fidelity prototype to present to potential customers.

From Interview to Documentation

I interviewed and recorded over 10 potential users with the low-fidelity prototypes, beginning with their initial first impressions and then guiding them through a specific path to gather their thoughts and comments.

After the interviews, I processed the audio through a Google Colab script capable of parsing different voices, separating them, and timestamping them. With the updated transcripts, I conducted a quality check, summarized all responses, and compiled them into an Excel file to identify patterns, new ideas, and other feedback. I then shared this document with the stakeholders for potential design modifications.

High-Fidelity Prototypes

Following the stakeholder meeting, I implemented the final feedback into the prototype and developed an extended workflow for all possible conditions of every feature, including alert statuses and empty states.

Dev Handoff Documentation

With the workflows finalized and stakeholder approval obtained, I began the development handoff documentation. I experimented with a technique I refer to as 'The Lego Manual.' Since most features were built with pre-existing components, I captured sections of a page at a time, detailing the components for each section, how they fit together, and additional details such as spacing and size.